Follow me on...

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day in the Pacific

In my short 26 years, I've been to a lot of places that have national significance.  Washington DC and Arlington are the two that stick out the most. I think as far as places themselves go, the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl is the most patriotic.  I know a lot of people will shoot an eyebrow up at me saying that anywhere is more patriotic than Arlington, but for me, Arlington is more somber than patriotic.  It's a sad place, though an honorable one.



The National Cemetery at Punchbowl is bursting with patriotism to me.  I think I see it this way because it's one of the only places where Americans have ever been attacked in a place that we call home.  I have visions of soldiers, sailors, Marines and civilians taking to the skies and finding guns to pick up and defend their homes and families.



I grew up in a very patriotic family, with many military members.  I've always known what Memorial Day is about.  In fact, I was attending ceremonies like the one I attended to day for as long as I can remember.  - Watching people tear up because your Daddy is playing some really sad song on the bugle [Taps, of course] is a proud moment for a little girl -  Days like today make me so glad when and where that I do.  So with this I say thank you to our service members past, present, and future.  And to the family members of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, I humbly give my thanks and respect.

0 comments:

Grab my button...

The Sub Wife Life