Follow me on...

Powered by Blogger.

Followers


Submarine Wife Pin Pictures, Images and Photos

Navy Wife Pictures, Images and Photos

MilitarySpouseBlogs
Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day in the Pacific

In my short 26 years, I've been to a lot of places that have national significance.  Washington DC and Arlington are the two that stick out the most. I think as far as places themselves go, the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl is the most patriotic.  I know a lot of people will shoot an eyebrow up at me saying that anywhere is more patriotic than Arlington, but for me, Arlington is more somber than patriotic.  It's a sad place, though an honorable one.



The National Cemetery at Punchbowl is bursting with patriotism to me.  I think I see it this way because it's one of the only places where Americans have ever been attacked in a place that we call home.  I have visions of soldiers, sailors, Marines and civilians taking to the skies and finding guns to pick up and defend their homes and families.



I grew up in a very patriotic family, with many military members.  I've always known what Memorial Day is about.  In fact, I was attending ceremonies like the one I attended to day for as long as I can remember.  - Watching people tear up because your Daddy is playing some really sad song on the bugle [Taps, of course] is a proud moment for a little girl -  Days like today make me so glad when and where that I do.  So with this I say thank you to our service members past, present, and future.  And to the family members of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, I humbly give my thanks and respect.

0 comments:

Grab my button...

The Sub Wife Life