Follow me on...

Powered by Blogger.

Followers


Submarine Wife Pin Pictures, Images and Photos

Navy Wife Pictures, Images and Photos

MilitarySpouseBlogs
Saturday, February 19, 2011

I'll never go tanning again

I recently got a good giggle when someone asked me if my tan came from a tanning salon.  I. Live. On. Guam!  There literally aren't any tanning salons on this little island.  I just thought that was so funny..  I haven't been in a tanning bed in almost two years.  (Thank God!)  His next question was, "Oh, do you just lay out?"  Hahahahahahahaha!  I'm a full time Mommy to a 6 month old!  The precious few hours she spends napping each day are the only time I can get things done in my house.  If I took that time to tan.... Again, it just makes me giggle.

I have recently decided that I take issue with tanning beds, except when used for depression alleviation purposes.  If I lived somewhere that never had sun, I would probably own a tanning bed, or at the very least, one of those huge lamps that you sit under.  I need sunshine!  I couldn't live like my dear friend Celeste does, at the beautiful North Pole where there are weeks at a time of darkness.  No, thank you.  The thing she does for love (live there to be with her man) would be a deal breaker for me.

Now, back to taking issue with tanning beds... Why do we feel the need to be dark in the winter?  I'm guilty, too.  I tanned every fall and winter from the time I was 17 until I moved to Guam.  But why?  Light skin is beautiful!   Light skin is natural in the winter time!  I see my friends who are dark, and I don't get it.. Then I see people that I'm not necessarily friends with who are orange, and I want to laugh at them.  In fact, I do laugh at them, just not to their faces.

I don't get why we're all so vain.  Going to a tanning salon means actually paying for something that you can get for free outside.  Why not just wait until it warms up a little bit?  I know they make you feel better during the winter.. Like I said, I'm guilty, too.  I used to love the feeling of crawling in that warm bed when it was 30 degrees outside.  It was the best nap I could get in the winter!  But still.. why?

For the very first time in my life, I have a runner's tan.  The tan lines are huge on my shoulders and back.  It's not going to be very pretty in a dress, but I don't care.  I'm so proud that I've been spending time outside every day.  I'm showing my little girl the healthy way to have a glow to her skin.  (For the record, we both wear sun screen even though she spends 90% of the run in the shade of her car seat.)

I hereby vow to never pay for a tan ever again.  That is, unless Jason somehow talks me into moving to Bangor, Washington.  At that point I will probably have to purchase a tanning bed just to survive.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! I have been pondering this same issue, seeing as how I am very pale.. This is the second or third year in a row that I have just let my skin go light in the winter. It feels nice to get a 'natural' tan (with lines and all) in the summer from being outside actually doing stuff. I also had a scare last year when I had an abnormal place removed, so I have pretty much told myself the same thing. No more artificial tan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beautiful North Pole has a continuous 3 months of sunshine, so you'd love it then ;)

    I haven't tanned since college because I'm terrified of skin cancer, so I'm all on board with the pale-skin revolution!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually there WAS a tanning bed on Guam. :) A friend of mine's now ex wife owned it but she high tailed it back to Canada. But I'm with you...give me Vit D from the sky. My best friend tans on occasion, but not for color, her doctor actually recommends it infrequently when her severe eczema flares up.

    SAD lights are great...I have one...from Michigan. (Like you if you were in Bangor, I wouldn't have survived without it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very impressed with the SKII Facial Treatment Essence (www.geocities.jp/hongkong_skii/index_e.htm), enough so that I have continued to use the product daily as part of my skin care routine after the test period. It's a luxury purchase to be sure, but this is one of the best products that can really make a significant difference in your skin, and so worth every penny.

    I applied the treatment each morning and evening after cleansing my skin and before moisturizer/primer and then makeup. Within just a few days I could see that my skin was much more supple and smooth - particularly in the t-zone. After about two weeks, I loved the beautiful glow my skin had - even without makeup.

    ReplyDelete